(Springfield, IL) — November 3, 2009. For the 2010 Illinois elections, 60 candidates filed nominating petitions for the offices of U.S. Senate, Governor, Lt. Governor, Attorney General, Secretary of State, Treasurer, and Comptroller and only 6, or 10 %, of those are women, down from 19.6% in 2002.
In 2002, for the same offices, there were 41 statewide candidates who filed–46% fewer candidates than in 2010–but 19.6% of those 2002 candidates, or 10, were women.
In 2010, the 6 lonely gals are:
- Lisa Madigan, Attorney General (D-Chicag0)
- Judy Baar Topinka, Comptroller (R-Riverside)
- R. Erika Schafer, Comptroller (G-Chicago)
- Robin Kelly, Treasurer (D-Matteson)
- Cheryle Jackson, U.S. Senate (D-Chicago)
- Kathleen Thomas, U.S. Senate (R-Springfield)
What’s up with that?