(Chicago, IL) — December 5, 2009. President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama welcomed a group of Illinois Democrats to a glittering holiday party at the White House on Thursday.
A select group.
Heading up the Illinois White House party goers–with an invitation–were: Secretary of State Jesse White, Attorney General Lisa Madigan, State Senate President John Cullerton, and House Majority Leader Barbara Flynn Currie.
With choirs scattered throughout the White House, the group dined on: roast beef, turkey, smoked salmon, and shrimp. Yum.
Missing from the event however–besides Michaele and Tareq Sahali–was a photo line. The invitation and, perhaps, a pilfered cocktail napkin were the souvenirs.
In addition to White, Madigan, Cullerton and Currie, the other Illinois Democrats at the soirée included:
- State Sen. Iris Martinez
- State Sen. Terry Link, a candidate for Lt. Governor
- Former Senate President Emil Jones
- Former Illinois State Rep. Robin Kelly, chief of staff to Treasurer Alexi Giannoulias, and a candidate for Treasurer
- Cook County Clerk David Orr
- Cook County Board Member Forrest Claypool
- State Rep. Art Turner, a candidate for Lt. Governor
- State Board of Education Chair Jesse Ruiz
- 4th Ward Alderman Toni Preckwinkle, a candidate for Cook County Board President
Of course, there are names of some “favored Illinois Dems” conspicuously missing from this list, and that creates morsels of speculation as juicy as the shrimp at the buffet table. And you can imagine political folks back home chewing–or stewing–over those crumpets.
Merry Ho, Ho.