(Chicago, IL) — April 12, 2011. Governor Pat Quinn today appointed nine individuals to serve on the Illinois Holocaust and Genocide Commission.
“We must never forget the atrocities and horrors of the Holocaust,” said Quinn. “This commission will increase awareness of the Holocaust and other past genocides to make sure that ‘never again’ is not a meaningless slogan.”
Quinn last year signed legislation, House Bill 6059, creating the commission. The panel will work with public and private organizations in planning and developing awareness programs.
Additionally, the commissioners will work with Holocaust and other genocide survivors, concentration camp liberators, scholars and religious leaders who will to share knowledge with students, participate in seminars, and develop educational curriculum.
The governor’s appointees include:
- Adam Braun, Office of Governor Pat Quinn
- Gregory Bedian, Ubiquiti Networks
- Noreen Brand, Illinois Holocaust Museum Education Center
- Daniel Cohen, Northwestern University
- Sanja Drnovsek, Aspira Haugan Middle School
- Sonia Edelman, Houghton Mifflin
- Fritzie Fritzshall, Illinois Holocaust Museum Education Center
- Richard Hirschhaut, Illinois Holocaust Museum Education Center
- Leon Lim, Chicago Public Schools
Other commission members, among others, include lawmakers: State Senator Kirk Dillard (R-Hinsdale), State Rep. Sara Feigenholtz (D-Chicago) and State Rep. Sidney Mathias (R-Buffalo Grove).
Members of the commission are unpaid and serve four-year terms.